Pearson Applicant Data Protection & Privacy Notice
This Data Protection / Privacy notice (“notice”) applies to application and employment data collected via Pearson’s employment websites utilizing Verint Americas Inc. and Pearson’s internal applicant tracking system.
This is a global privacy notice and applies to information collected in all countries where Pearson employees are located and consultants are hired. The actual information collected may vary by country, as permitted by law. Therefore; there may be content in this document that does not apply specifically to you. In this notice, the terms “Pearson:”, “we,” and “us” refer to Pearson Education ltd, respective subsidiaries and affiliated companies.
How is this information collected?
We collect personal information about you through the application and recruitment process, either directly from you or sometimes from an employment agency or background check provider. We may sometimes collect additional information from third parties including former employers, credit reference agencies or other background check agencies.
What information might we hold about you?
By utilizing this service for applications and employment with us, we will collect information about you. This information may include:
- Full name
- Date of Birth
- Nationality and visa information
- Contact information
- Demographic information
- Job experience, history and positions
- Educational history
- Skills and training history
- Other background information required for background checks
- Credentials used to access this site
- Any other information you choose to give us
Subject to any local or national requirements or restrictions on the collection of specific data referenced below, we may also collect, store and use the following special categories of more sensitive personal information (Special Categories):
- Information about your race or ethnicity, veteran status, religious beliefs, sexual orientation and political opinions
- Trade union membership
- Information about your health, including disability status, medical condition, health and sickness records
- Genetic information and biometric data
- Information about criminal convictions and offenses
How do we use this information?
We may use the information we collect about you in a variety of ways, including to:
- Process your application
- Communicate with you
- Conduct applicant and employment-related statistical evaluation and record keeping
- Perform an identity check to confirm you are whom you claim to be
- Perform activities to corroborate the submitted information and perform checks
- Perform manual and automated checks of suitability for the role(s) applied for
- Perform aggregated analytics to improve the experience of users
- Detect, prevent, or investigate security breaches or fraud
- And to maintain appropriate records for internal administrative purposes
How We Share the Information We Collect
When completing an application Pearson may share your information with other Pearson entities, their respective and affiliated companies and third party service providers, including credit reference agencies and background check agencies for processing and decision making.
Storing and Processing Your Information
The information provided to us is stored and processed on secure servers operated by Pearson. Pearson will always take steps to protect your information in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Pearson will retain applicant information for as long as an applicant account is active or as required by law and will delete all information in line with local and national data protection legal requirements.
These territories may include:
- United Kingdom
- Other European Union countries
- United States
- Any other country in which Pearson may employ staff
We may share your information with third party service providers that assist us with various activities and recruitment processes including applicant management, system maintenance and background analysis. We require companies to only process your information when performing work for us or as required to do so by law. Additional safeguards are being relied on via appropriate supplier contractual terms to safeguard the Personal Information they process.
Data Subject Rights
Depending on your country location, you may have Data Subject Privacy Rights under law which could include the following:
- The right to withdraw consent where the legal basis relied on is consent
- The right to lodge a complaint with the data protection authority
- The right to request access or rectification of and/or erasure of personal information
- The right to request that Pearson restrict processing of personal information related to yourself or someone you are the legal guardian for
- The right to object to Pearson’s processing of the Individual’s personal information
- The right to portability
Accessing Your Information
Depending on your country of residence you may have the right to request access to information we hold about you. Any such request should be made in writing and provided to us at the email or postal address below. This request will be corroborated to ensure you are the Data Subject prior to any information being shared.
Amending or Deleting Your Information
If you feel that information in our possession is incorrect, would like information deleted or would like to withdraw your application please contact AWFulfillment@pearson.com. We will make every effort to respond promptly to your request.
Security and Confidentiality
Pearson employs technical, physical, and administrative security measures to reduce the risk of loss, unauthorized access, misuse, disclosure or modification of your information. Pearson requires its service providers to ensure the security and integrity of your information is maintained.
Changes to This Notice
This Privacy Notice is dated 27 April, 2018.
In the future it may become necessary to update this statement. If any substantial changes are undertaken an updated statement will be posted in this space. We encourage you to review any future updates as and when they appear.
Any modifications to this statement that materially affect the way we process or disclose your personal information will be brought to your attention prior to the change coming into effect.
If you have any questions regarding your application and employment data please contact: AWFulfillment@pearson.com. Alternatively, if you have a query relating to your privacy please feel free to contact the Privacy Office: email@example.com
By selecting “I Accept” below, you are acknowledging and agreeing to the collection, transfer, storage and use of your Personal Information as outlined above for the purpose of processing your application and possible future activity in line with employment laws. You also recognize that by selecting “I Decline” Pearson will be unable to continue with the application process.
Pearson Education Limited is a registered company in England and Wales whose registered office is at 80 Strand, London, WC2R 0RL, United Kingdom, company Registration number 872828, VAT Number GB278 5371 21. Pearson is the data controller for the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998.